By Chinyere Ogbonna – A coalition of youth groups in Northern Nigeria have urged President Muhammadu Buhari not to seek re-election in 2019. The leaders of the group known as Northern Youth Coalition, made the point while addressing journalists at the Press Centre in Kano.Speaking on behalf of the coalition, leaders of the group, Abdulmajid Saad and his secretary, Salisu Indabawa, the coalition who scored President Buhari’s perfomance low, explained that seeking re-election “could be a disgraceful move.” The coalition comprises 36 youth groups.in the northern part of Nigeria.
“We observed with utmost dismay that three years after the current leadership came into power, Nigerians are already disappointed with the way things are going.
“This was characterised by the president’s deafening ears to the yearnings of the citizenry as witnessed in the falling standard of attainment of basic of life needed by ordinary Nigerians,” Mr. Saad said.
“We also observed poor healthcare services delivery to the whole nation. Corruption has taken new dimensions on high scale, standard of living of most Nigerians has deteriorated, while injustice, insecurity and high level of impunity has become a recurring decimal.”
The officials said the victory recorded in the fight against Boko Haram was insufficient to campaign with as insecurity had worsened in other areas with kidnapping and ethnic violence on the increase. Responding to questions from the newsmen, Mr. Saad, said his group was not being sponsored by any politician. He also said not all the groups that are part of the coalition are registered.
Meanwhile, The Archbishop emeritus of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to respect himself and quietly retire from politics and not seek re-election come 2019. Shout-Africa recalls Buhari had on two occasions gave hint on his plan to seek re-election in 2019 during his recent visits to Abidjan in Cote d’Ivoire and Kaduna State respectively, indicating such intension.
In a related development, the Minister of Communications, Mr. Adebayo Shittu, was quoted also quoted as asserting that the campaign for the re-election of President Buhari has just began. Mr. Shittu also revealed after a meeting with Buhari at Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, said that south-west campaign offices would be inaugurated in about two weeks but latest by January 20 this year.
Besides, there were also reports that the Director-General, 2015 Buhari Campaign Organisation, and current Transportation Minister, Chief Rotimi Amaechi, has been re-appointed as the Director-General of Buhari campaign for 2019 ambition. Reacting in a chat with New Telegraph, Archibishop Okogie described as an insult to Nigerians for the President Buhari to be considering re- election.
In a related report by The Cable, Anthony Cardinal Okogie had counselled Buhari to be preoccupied on finding solutions to the huge problems facing Nigerians. According to Anthony Cardinal Okogie, “What has he done in the years he had been in the saddle? He has performed woefully; that’s the verdict of Nigerians.”
He emphasised that he should retire without much ado. “Let the president respect himself and retire quietly. Coming out to talk of 2019 is insulting not only to those who voted him to power but to all Nigerians” Okogie declared, insisting that for 2019 or second term “… he must be a joker.”