…….Solicits support in fight against terrorism. – By Shout-Africa.com Correspondent Chinyere Ogbonna – President Goodluck Jonathan has appealed to Nigerians to assist the security agencies with useful information that would help in arresting members of the Islamic militants known as Boko Haram.
Dr. Jonathan made the appeal during a condolence visit to Kano on Sunday after the northern Nigerian city faced one of the deadliest Boko Haram attacks in recent times.
The series of coordinated bomb attacks and subsequent gun battles claimed the lives of over 165 people, including Channels Television reporter, Enenche Akogwu.
In a statement, the Islamic sect claims responsibility for the multiple bomb attacks.
On his condolence trip to Kano, northern Nigeria’s largest city, President Jonathan met with the emir of the city, Alhaji Ado Bayero to express sadness over Friday’s bombings.
“A terrorist attack on one person is an attack on all of us,” Jonathan said during his visit with the emir.
He urged Nigerians to remain on the alert and cooperate with security agents to flush out the perpetrators of terrorist acts. “The people doing this are not spirit. They are among us. I seek the cooperation of all towards getting those involved in the havoc arrested.
“I assure Nigerians that the government will intensify its security in Kano and elsewhere in the all country to unravel the mystery behind this act,” the President added.
During his visit, Jonathan inspected some of the sites of the attacks, including the police headquarters, one of the eight official buildings targeted by the sect in the attacks.
Assessing the damage, the President vowed to work tirelessly alongside government officials until terrorism is wiped. He promised to offer assistance to the injured and loved ones of the victims of the attacks.
Despite assurances from security agents, curfews and armed guards in place, residents of Kano are still wary and the atmosphere remains tense.
The attacks have left the people in a state of shock. The attack is the latest in a series of bombings linked to the sect in recent weeks.
President Goodluck Jonathan had declared a state of emergency in 15 local government areas in four states, beefing up security, and shutting down international borders between the country and its northern neighbours.
Kano city was not among those covered in the state of emergency. The full extent of the damage done to lives and property is yet to be established.
In a related development elsewhere in Bauchi State also in the northern part of the country, Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Iyk Aduba has confirm 3 Bomb Blasts and 10 Killed in the Attacks by unidentified gunmen.
The State’s police boss, Mr. Ikechukwu Aduba said that the attacks which claimed the lives of at least 11 people, including eight unidentified youths, two soldiers and the divisional police officer, occurred in the Tafawa Balewa local government area of the state.
Also shedding further light on the attacks earlier reported, police Mr. Aduba affirmed that there had been three bomb blasts at two worship centers in Bauchi metropolis in the early hours of Sunday morning, he however stated that the attacks were without casualty.
Although, there are conflicting reports on the motives behind the attacks in Tafawa Balewa LGA, Police reports linked the violence to armed robbery attacks by hoodlums attempting to rob a bank and were foiled by security agents.
Youths in the area on the other hand, say it was an attack on people in the area.
Police say they are investigating the case and revealed that 10 improvised explosive devices were recovered at the scene of the crime.
Six people were arrested by security agents and are currently being interrogated by the Police and they expressed hope to conclude the investigations and round up fleeing gunmen.
The police commissioner called on residents to support security agents in combating crime, stressing that it is the civic responsibility of the public to give useful intelligence to the security agents in the state.