By Shout-Africa.com Correspondent – The Gambia government has re-opened The Standard newspaper, six months after it was closed down. This was revealed by the Director of Press and Public Relations, Fatou Camara, at State House during the meeting between President Yahya Jammeh and his Cabinet with media chiefs and practitioners on Wednesday evening at State House.
According to the Director of Press, the reopening followed an executive directive issued by President Jammeh earlier in the week.
The Standard newspaper was set up by former Observer Company managing director Sheriff Bojang, in May 2010, following his return from postgraduate studies. Only four editions of the paper were published, before it was closed down on 8th September 2010.
Asked what led to the closure of his company, Managing Director Sheriff Bojang said, “I do not know. But that is only academic now. I do not have gripes about anything, and I hold no grudge against anyone. I am thankful to His Excellency, the President, Sheikh Professor Alhagie Dr Yahya Jammeh for his expressed generosity in allowing The Standard to resume operations.
“We want to recommit ourselves to our core objectives in setting up The Standard: generate employment, engage in honest, profitable entrepreneurship, defend the sovereign national interest of The Gambia at all times, help the President and the Government in propelling the Gambia into a prosperous and progressive modern African state, and improve the scope and quality of Gambian journalism.”
Bojang also thanked the people who showed solidarity with him over ‘the past difficult period’ of the closure of his company.
He said he is gathering his team back, and that The Standard will be available in the newsstands soon.