Based in Cape Town, THE BIG ISSUE is an established non-profit job creation and development initiative, which publishes a quality general interest magazine, sold by a vendor force of unemployed and socially excluded adults. We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic designer/layout artist to join our small, dynamic editorial team.
The designer/layout artist will be responsible for:
– The design/layout of the 48-page magazine produced every 21-days, as well as supplements and special editions
– Sourcing of photographs for the magazine, where required
– Sourcing and preparing files and photographs for the website and for content- sharing with affiliated publications
– All in-house design work required by The Big Issue, including, but not limited to, flyers, special projects, banners and adverts
– The creation of adverts, where necessary
– Maintaining an image library and a magazine archive
– Ability to work to strict deadlines (this includes working after hours on occasion in order to meet deadline)
– Keen eye for detail
– Ability to work efficiently and practically
– Good communication skills
– Minimum three years of magazine design/layout work experience with a proven track record, contactable references and a portfolio
– Proficient in Indesign and Adobe Photoshop (working on Apple Mac)
– Technical know-how to take the magazine from initial layout to final stages of production, including creating PDFs and uploading for printers
– Team player
The successful candidate must have a passion for magazine design and layout and demonstrate a willingness to continually improve the overall look of the magazine.
Remuneration package: R100, 000 – R120,000 per annum, (commensurate with experience)
Benefits: Provident Fund and Medical Aid
City: Cape Town
Job level: Mid
The Big Issue is an equal opportunity employer. Closing date for applications is 10 September 2010. Please send letter of application, with detailed CV, including the names of at least three contactable references, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.