By Peterking Quaye, from Accra, Ghana for Shout-Africa.com – This will be their second time taking this award and they by all imagination definitely deserved it with their huge international following beyond all. Ghana’s probably most sensational groups to have hit the music scene in Ghana, VIP, walked away proud winners of the top award of the night ‘Artiste of the Year’ award at the 12th MTN- Ghana Music Awards festival in the early mornings of Sunday 10th April 9.
VIP -Vision In Progress (VIP) group chanting “The myth is broken” on stage with their larger followers from the Nima and other parts of Ghana mounted the stage and took home the as well Hip Life/Hip Hop Artiste(s) of the Year award.
The star studded event, organized by Charter House, was held at the Dome of the Accra International Conference Centre and saw celebrities and high profile personalities from all walks of life in attendance.
Multiple winners on the night were Highlife sensation Kwabena Kwabena, he went home with Highlife Song of the Year and Highlife Artiste of the year. Gospel diva Cecelia Marfo took home the Gospel Song of the Year whilst her husband took home Songwriter of the Year award.
Abraham Ohene Gyan, CEO of OM Studios, was offered an amount of GHC 5000 by the World Bank to dedicate airtime on his entertainment channel Fiesta on Skyy Digital TV, to promote music for development.
Ghana’s only internationally acclaimed group Osibisa band also was awarded the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award was represented by Teddy Osei.
Some of this year’s Ghana Music Awards winner called sent the hundreds of music fans at the venue wondering ,was imaging what was going on ,as many felt bad that their favourite artiste were left out .One artiste who many thought will take something home was Lynx Entertainment –Eazzy and Jay Ghartey ,but to their utmost surprise not event a ‘piece of wood ’was given to them on the night .
Surprises on the night came was from ,newcomers such Knii Lantey for Male Vocalist of the year, Herty Borngreat for Discovery of the Year and Sammy B with record of the Year, were met with met with mixed reactions.
Stunning Performances from MOGO award winner, CK MANN sent the audience yearning for more,
Nigerian sensational artiste,was at his lowest performance ,to the utmost surprise of many people , Awful performance from 2face Idibia , on the night sparked lots of mixed reaction as people expected a much more entertaining performance ,
Another surprise of the night was Efya; who incidentally took home the award for Best Female Vocalist of the year against mature and heavy weight in the industry like –Cecilia Marfo and others , Trigmatic; took home Best Rapper of the Year Award, made the night a truly enjoyable and memorable one with his voice . Nana Boro was awarded Popular Song of the Year was dedicated to Afua Schwarzenegger ,a new local television series on TV3 ,from Delay of Oman Fm and Delay on TV3 .
Below is a list of all the Categories and their Corresponding winners:
1. Best Reggae Recording of the Year: Iwan
2. Gospel Song of the year: Cecelia Marfo
3. Highlife Song of the year: Kwabena Kwabena with ‘Dadeanoma’
4. Best Hiplife song of the year: Castro feat Asamoah Gyan with ‘African Girls’
5. Hip-hop song of the year: D’black with ‘Get on the dancefloor’
6. Afro pop song of the year: ‘Kiss your hand’ by R2bees.
7. MUSIGHA Merit Award: Emeritus Prof J.H Nketia
8. Traditional Artist of the year: Mustapha Addy
9. Instrumentalist of the year: Emmanuel Koomson
10. Best Collaboration: Castro Feat Asamoah Gyan with ‘African Girls’
11. Songwriter of the Year: Pastor Boamah
12. Best music for Development: Reggy Zippy with GHC 3000.
All the other nominees took home GHC 300.
Abraham Ohene-Gyan of OM Studios took home GHC 5000
13. Gospel artiste of the year: No tribe
14. Highlife artiste of the year: Kwabena Kwabena.
15. Rapper of year: Trigmatic
16. Record of the Year: Sammy B
17. Male Vocal Performance: Knii Lantey
18. Female Vocal Performance: Efya
19. Most Popular Song: Aha ye De by Nana Boro
20. Album of the year: Samini with CEO
21. Discovery of the Year: Herty Borngreat
22. Producer of the Year: Zapp Mallet
23. Video of the Year: Phamous People
24. Best African Artist: K’naan
25. Artiste of the year: VIP
26. Hip Life/Hip Hop Artiste(s) of the Year: VIP
Come next year, l have a strong position as to organizers of this event will still be struggling to hold their acts together. But consumer of this event should see that it is time to take appropriate actions against the organizers of this event through maybe the Consumer Bureau to get the best for their money ,as they lead in pricing events in this country ,typical this year event price , almost $50 US ,taking into consideration this developing economy of Ghana.